suzzie
kjnm81
Vogette
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Macey

getting food stuck Empty
PostSubject: Re: getting food stuck   getting food stuck Empty26/06/11, 03:28 pm

I'm usually fine with softdrink but yesterday it just wasn't happening! Shame too, because I rarely have it so I so look forward to it when I do! Thankfully all is well today. I'm having an awful time with it since my last fill so am ringing my doctor first thing tomorrow to move my appointment from next Monday to this Thursday. That's the hope, anyway! I was ready to go to his Tville colleague if it wasn't fixed today but I had some mother-in-law vegies (very soggy!) and they were fine. Have not heard about milk before. I don't have full cream though and most of the time I don't have any at all. My boyfrend is quite obsessed with diet coke though so there's always plenty of that in the house so that's what I usually use if it happens. Was just weird to wake up with a blockage!
Back to top Go down
zippy

zippy

getting food stuck Empty
PostSubject: Re: getting food stuck   getting food stuck Empty26/06/11, 06:28 am

Macey I am 3 years down and still cant tolerate softdrink unless I let it go dead flat... in a big stuck I will sip a little....about a teaspoon of coke but often find that good old full cream milk does the trick... the fat in it makes the stuck slippery and down she goes.

I would avoid fizzy drink at the moment while you are tender but and I say this because its the best peice of advice you have been given....like tania said regardless of what you do you need to consult your band doc. He is the only one that can set you straight

Pain is the bodys way of telling us to get of our butt and do something about a problem
Back to top Go down

getting food stuck Empty
PostSubject: Re: getting food stuck   getting food stuck Empty26/06/11, 01:47 am

Hi Macey,
I haven't had the pleasure of a real blockage yet. Your doctor should see you straight away if you are in pain.
I hope you have fun in Brizzy :)
Welcome to the forum.
Back to top Go down
Kirsten

Kirsten

getting food stuck Empty
PostSubject: Re: getting food stuck   getting food stuck Empty25/06/11, 11:45 pm

Hi Macey,

How uncomfortable for you. I've had a few things get stuck, but a quick worship at the porcelin thrown does the trick for me :)
I have heard others mention the fizzy drink problem, and given you've tried it a few times with discomfort, give it a miss for a bit. Try some smaller mouthfuls like Delia says, and give it a few mins inbetween to see how you go. Try foods soft, and light and easy ones, like cruskits to start with. You could have lots of swelling down there and the slightest thing is agrevating it. My doctor has said that if I have problems like you mention to see him straight away and have a small amount taken out (it can always be put back in in a week or two). It's all about your comfort and if we want the band to be there for life we need to work with it, maybe a smidge out might help your osephougous heal and make things a bit easier.

Hope it gets better soon :)

K
Back to top Go down
Delia
Delia

getting food stuck Empty
PostSubject: Re: getting food stuck   getting food stuck Empty25/06/11, 02:22 pm

Hi Macey
Soft drink is something a lot can't drink. Most Doctors will tell you to stay away from them.
I think the bubbles may cause air in the stomach and this could be what is happening to you.
If water goes down fine I would keep away from any gassy drinks.
Try a very small amount of food. Like a pea size and chew well if that goes down you could try a tiny bit more. I am having a bit of trouble and some say it is the colder weather that makes some bands tighter. Who knows bands are so strange.
Let me know how you go.
Delia
Back to top Go down
http://deliahereiam.blogspot.com/
Macey

getting food stuck Empty
PostSubject: Re: getting food stuck   getting food stuck Empty25/06/11, 01:51 pm

I think I'm having a stick right now and it's driving me crazy!! I've been banded since October last year and going along swimmingly until my most recent fill about 6 weeks ago.

So, about 3 weeks ago (3rd June- I recall it so clearly since I had a wedding the next day and couldn't eat the amazing food!!) my boyfriend brought me some cereal for breakfast and it got stuck. I'd never had a bad stick before, in fact I'd barely had any and they'd all come straight back up, but this one was different. I waited an hour for it to come back but it didn't so I had a shower and when I was brushing my teeth it made its reappearance. (Please forgive me, I like to tell a story in its entirety!) So the boy and I go to a pre-planned lunch and I have a glass of water which causes mass pain and nausea which I'd never had before so I went to the emergency room. Was a public hospital though, so they had no idea about it all but admitted me to keep my fluids up since I threw up their pink lady cocktail so they assumed I wasn't able to get anything down. In the morning they arranged a barrium swallow and it went through fine so they let me go with strict instructions to stick to liquids.

So I was on liquids for a week, then moved to mushies which was fine until scrambled eggs got stuck so I went back to liquids for a couple of days and then mushies until last Sunday since it was mine and the boy's anniversary. Dinner was fine, as was everything this week (fine but oh so stressful!!!) until today. Yesterday I had leftover pasta that was fine, went down a treat, then I had a dodgy sort of night- red frogs, coke bottles and lindt balls. Very, very bad, I know but... it happens sometimes!

(I hope someone's still reading this thesis I've ended up writing because here's my problem finally!) This afternoon I had a big old gulp of soft drink only to be met with burping and that water cooler kind of feeling in my stomach like the drink was bubbling through and then pain. Water goes through fine and my dissolvable multivitamin but I'm too scared to try food... had a shake for dinner which was fine but tried more softdrink about an hour ago and got the same thing as this afternoon. Am too scared to try food but also wondering if I do if it might dislodge whatever is going on down there?! I sincerely doubt anything I ate last night could possibly have gotten stuck but then I also wouldn't have though cereal would either and it had me hospitalised!

Obviously I'm going to go to my doctor, hopefully this week as I'm flying to Brisbane on Wednesday but has anyone had anything like it before?! I've had other pain in the last couple of weeks and have found that sleeping fixes it right up but hasn't this time?
Back to top Go down
Delia
Delia

getting food stuck Empty
PostSubject: Re: getting food stuck   getting food stuck Empty15/05/11, 10:10 am

For some reason mine is sensitive just now also. Maybe the colder weather or I was trying to eat foods without so much sauce. I have had to go back to the sauce. I also have to have a cup of tea in the morning before I eat anything or it gets stuck. Well not really stuck but I know the band is there so stop eating until the feeling passes.
So different this time to the last two times but as it is sewn in now I guess this makes the difference.
Delia
Back to top Go down
http://deliahereiam.blogspot.com/
catton54

catton54

getting food stuck Empty
PostSubject: Re: getting food stuck   getting food stuck Empty13/05/11, 07:52 am

I agree Deb, this band is extra sensitive....getting frustrated with it now.....

Cate
Back to top Go down
debs

debs

getting food stuck Empty
PostSubject: Re: getting food stuck   getting food stuck Empty08/05/11, 11:53 am

It is very strange Cate, your band seems extra sensitive. I think its something to bring up with the doc...why it varies so much when outside cirsumstances don't change that much. I'm glad you had a good day though. Hope it continues for a while.

debs
Back to top Go down
catton54

catton54

getting food stuck Empty
PostSubject: Re: getting food stuck   getting food stuck Empty08/05/11, 11:11 am

This is such a weird journey...yesterday I had the best day for months, ate a pie ( was out, going to a horse show and left at 4am!!!) the whole pie, than 1/2 sausage sandwich ( with bread) and left over chinese for dinner...did not spew once, and it was all fine, no pain, yet the day before spewed all day...I just cannot understand it, why does it differ so much from day to day, this is what I find so frustrating....today has been ok with only a little puk this morning........

Cate xoxo
Back to top Go down
suzzie

suzzie

getting food stuck Empty
PostSubject: Re: getting food stuck   getting food stuck Empty07/05/11, 01:42 pm

Its good to hear that i am not the only one with that problem i find i am eating more i put on a couple of kilo !!
i have started to fill my bowl up more and won't leave it till every bit is gone!!
And then i will go back for seconds ( i hate myself ) DR Tamaris is fantastic she didn't want to see me for 6 months but i rang her office and the girls were fantastic ..
They made an appointment for the 24th of this month squeezed me in with an emergency appointment to get a fill ..
So i am hanging out so want to have full restriction again !!! happy mothers day to all the mummies out in bandit land xxxxx
Back to top Go down
Jo

getting food stuck Empty
PostSubject: Re: getting food stuck   getting food stuck Empty06/05/11, 07:01 am

I think mine is more to do with putting that last spoonful in when I should be stopping.

I'm still trying to retrain myself after the last 5 mths. Before that I could put my spoon down as soon as I felt full, now I try and force more in :-((( might have to go down to a smaller bowl so I feel as i'm eating it all hahaa

I don't have a tight band, 6ml and can still eat quite comfortably (nowhere as much as before)
Back to top Go down
Jo

getting food stuck Empty
PostSubject: Re: getting food stuck   getting food stuck Empty06/05/11, 06:55 am

always have this feeling like a clamping is around my throat, or I have an egg stuck.....sometimes when I am having a bad day I wonder how much more I can take, and get worried, but the good days I get it all together, and tell myself not to be so stupid.....

gosh I get that also...more often now than before. I also get alot of belching that I didnt before drives me crazy :-(

I told hubby last month that I was going in to have band removed but then came to my senses. I've put on 8kg over the last 4 mths, I scare myself and think "how much would that of been without the band"!
Back to top Go down
catton54

catton54

getting food stuck Empty
PostSubject: Re: getting food stuck   getting food stuck Empty03/05/11, 03:21 am

I agree.....

Tanya wrote:
Suzzie I am glad it settled for you. Yes, It is strange and a bit of a worry when this stuff happens. The other day I got food stuck and after that I seemed to have better restriction (swelling? irritation?). It was good (although unexpected) to have better restriction but it left me wondering what was happening behind the scenes, that's the uneasy bit.

Yes I wonder the same thing, with all the spewing I do, I wonder what the hell is going on 'down there' ...I wonder if I have an erosion happening, or a slip etc etc....always have this feeling like a clamping is around my throat, or I have an egg stuck.....sometimes when I am having a bad day I wonder how much more I can take, and get worried, but the good days I get it all together, and tell myself not to be so stupid.....

Cate xoxoxo
Back to top Go down
suzzie

suzzie

getting food stuck Empty
PostSubject: Re: getting food stuck   getting food stuck Empty18/04/11, 11:45 am

Tanya i agree it is very scary while it is happening i was sore for a day or two so i must have done a good job of it ..
I have gone to liquid panadol don't want to risk that again !
just come back onto solids and seems to be ok thank goodness..
It just went on for hours its the first and hopefully the last time i hope to ever have that happen again !
Back to top Go down

getting food stuck Empty
PostSubject: Re: getting food stuck   getting food stuck Empty18/04/11, 04:35 am

Suzzie I am glad it settled for you. Yes, It is strange and a bit of a worry when this stuff happens. The other day I got food stuck and after that I seemed to have better restriction (swelling? irritation?). It was good (although unexpected) to have better restriction but it left me wondering what was happening behind the scenes, that's the uneasy bit.
Back to top Go down
Linda

Linda

getting food stuck Empty
PostSubject: Re: getting food stuck   getting food stuck Empty17/04/11, 11:48 pm

ok thats good for you
Back to top Go down

getting food stuck Empty
PostSubject: Re: getting food stuck   getting food stuck Empty16/04/11, 04:39 pm

No I haven't Linda, but a cruise to Noumea could be good :)

The doctor said it was vertigo, maybe because of a virus and gave me tablets - but it's gone now so I didn't cash in on them. He said it could have lasted for weeks or even a year (way to make me stop complaining Doc!).

Back to top Go down
Linda

Linda

getting food stuck Empty
PostSubject: Re: getting food stuck   getting food stuck Empty15/04/11, 01:14 am

Tanya have you been on a boat recently?
Back to top Go down
Vogette
Admin
Vogette

getting food stuck Empty
PostSubject: Re: getting food stuck   getting food stuck Empty14/04/11, 05:54 am

Sue,

Great it has settled down. Yes, it is very scary when it happens! Sounds like you are doing all the right things!

Cheers,
Beth
Back to top Go down
suzzie

suzzie

getting food stuck Empty
PostSubject: Re: getting food stuck   getting food stuck Empty14/04/11, 02:40 am

Vogette..
Hi yes it was two rapid panadol and a small hard antibiotic !
i am taking it easy today with soup and yogurt i had to take the antibiotic again today so i crushed it up and cut the panandol down into little bits and took it with a spoon of yogurt not nice but worked ! was not a nice thing i was scared i had done damage to the band ... thanks cheers .sue.
Back to top Go down
Vogette
Admin
Vogette

getting food stuck Empty
PostSubject: Re: getting food stuck   getting food stuck Empty14/04/11, 01:11 am

Sue...

Was it a big capsule? Perhaps when you took it, it lay at funny angle across the opening of your stoma. It would eventually break down and be absorbed, but maybe it has caused an irritation. Perhaps sticking to fluids for a little while may help it settle down?

Maybe try spreading out the meds so you don't take them all at once. I am sure it will settle. Take it easy!
Back to top Go down
suzzie

suzzie

getting food stuck Empty
PostSubject: Re: getting food stuck   getting food stuck Empty14/04/11, 12:18 am

Hi everyone .. I was wondering if you could help with some thing ??
Last night i had to take antibiotic and pain relief as i have a chest infection .
about 30 minutes after taking these tablets i started to get really uncomfortable wind like pain under and around my rib cage it was terrible very painful and uncomfortable it lasted for three hours !
I have been banded for 11 months and taken tablets without a problem in the past.
i tried every thing to relieve it i drank soft drink i did stretch's stood up walked it was awful !
then it eased and i was able to go to bed .
But today i feel tight and i am to scared to eat so just sipping on a coffee think i might just have a shake for lunch and soup for tea..
So my question is do you think i had a blockage ??? .. Cheers sue ...
Back to top Go down
Vogette
Admin
Vogette

getting food stuck Empty
PostSubject: Re: getting food stuck   getting food stuck Empty13/04/11, 08:22 am

I can certainly understand your concern, especially when it came out of the blue, or the last thing you associate it with is an upchuck. Dizziness and Nausea go hand in hand with middle ear problems, so hopefully it isn't something about to show its ugly head!

Glad it has settled down.

There's always at least one nurse in any group of people, I have found....

I am a clinical nurse consultant, with a background in Intensive Care, with 30+ years experience....just for the record!

Cheers, hope the tummy settles, as well as the vertigo!
Back to top Go down
kjnm81

kjnm81

getting food stuck Empty
PostSubject: Re: getting food stuck   getting food stuck Empty13/04/11, 08:00 am

Tanya,

Having vertigo/dizziness can be a symptom of a middle ear infection or problem as Beth said..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

getting food stuck Empty
PostSubject: Re: getting food stuck   getting food stuck Empty

Back to top Go down

getting food stuck
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next