Delia
Linda
tumultuous-tara
anewsharon
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Cazz71

What to do in stuck moments. Empty
PostSubject: Re: What to do in stuck moments.   What to do in stuck moments. Empty25/05/11, 02:46 am

Thanks guys,
Well it disappered during the night as i was asleep!! if it was a blockage it lasted more than 12 hrs?..
Im back to real watery soups again lol..
All a learning time im thinking..
Hope everyone is doing well?

Cazz
Back to top Go down
Jo

PostSubject: Re: What to do in stuck moments.   What to do in stuck moments. Empty24/05/11, 03:46 am

Coke works for me. I dont drink fizzy drinks normally.

The first time was with a piece of chicken that I hadnt chewed enough, well did I pay for it.....

I make sure I chew chew but of course sometimes you forget :-(
Back to top Go down
catton54

catton54

PostSubject: Re: What to do in stuck moments.   What to do in stuck moments. Empty23/05/11, 07:48 am

Delia wrote:
Good idea Sharon.

I just bend over and it comes up untill I really got a bad blockage.

I agree, jut bending over is enough to bring it all back up, unless it is really stuck, interesting that we 'just have to bend over' ........lol have to be careful when out, getting up from the table and reaching over is enough for me.......!!!!

Cate
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What to do in stuck moments.   What to do in stuck moments. Empty22/05/11, 02:42 pm

Cazz
I could be wrong but I thinks it's more likely to be something other than the original blockage after this long, especially as it was a liquid. If it's causing you pain give your doctor a call and talk it through.

Whenever I have a block (the first one was 2 weeks post surgery) it only lasts a matter of minutes (but maybe others are different). I'm guessing too that you would have a lot of trouble swallowing by now because your oesophagus would be full of saliva.

Back to top Go down
Cazz71

PostSubject: Re: What to do in stuck moments.   What to do in stuck moments. Empty22/05/11, 12:32 pm

Hi Guys,
Banded 1 week ago tomorrow, i have hit my first blockage.
It was silly of my but i ate pureed soup - but it wasnt until i felt full & stopped eating i realised that my whole torso area was feeling very uncomfortable..& i looked at the soup and i had forgot to water it down, even though i ate slow it was just too thick..
Being banded for only a short time, it was drilled into my head not to throw up in the first 2 weeks as it may cause the band to slip, but is their anyone that has more suggestions in what to do as its been nearly 8 hours and hurts alot. I have tried sipping warm/ hot water & a wheat bag over my tummy but to no avail...
It has certainally told me early in the peace that if it dont fit through a straw dont touch it..but still ouchy :(....
Any suggestions for now or next time would be greatly appreciated..
Cazz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What to do in stuck moments.   What to do in stuck moments. Empty08/01/11, 04:13 am

Thanks Sharon, Brooke, Beth. Nice to know I don't need to learn how to self administer the Heimlich Maneuver.
One of the bad habits I have is to eat quickly, almost inhale food, especially since I had my daughter and time to myself became an extinct animal. A swift kick in the internal organs will make me reassess, I bet.

Beth I think a before and during / after is a good idea (in superhero costumes).

I have the before - bring on the after!
Back to top Go down
anewsharon

anewsharon

PostSubject: Re: What to do in stuck moments.   What to do in stuck moments. Empty07/01/11, 11:07 pm

Thats a good idea Beth.
Back to top Go down
Vogette
Admin
Vogette

PostSubject: Re: What to do in stuck moments.   What to do in stuck moments. Empty07/01/11, 10:38 pm

I agree...it does make you slow down and think so that you don't experience it again. The key is to eat very slowly and focus on what you are doing. I always have problems if I eat too fast, or if I am not focussing - like watching TV & eating or on the computer and having breakfast...oh, like I am now!

While the pain is horrid, that is what the band is for...it is a tool to remind us to slow down, to give the brain time to recognise when we are full, to restrict the amaount we can eat. It only works though if you avaoid those things that go through the band easily...like chocolate, sweets, alcohol, ice cream, chips, etc. It is not to say you can't ever have them, but you need to be able to stop at one, and to have it only occasionally.

Oh, and Brooke...You are looking awesome.

I must try to find a real picture of me...somehow I don't think people believe that I look like Angelina...

Be good to post before and now photos, huh?

I might start a thread!
Back to top Go down
little_miss_chookey

PostSubject: Re: What to do in stuck moments.   What to do in stuck moments. Empty07/01/11, 10:31 pm

Yeah, don't stress Tanya... I have not have many blockages at all, and they are usually very minor and pass through or come up very quickly. You learn rather quickly what will and wont work. Chew Chew Chew and eat slowly and you shouldn't have any major issues.
Back to top Go down
anewsharon

anewsharon

PostSubject: Re: What to do in stuck moments.   What to do in stuck moments. Empty07/01/11, 08:01 pm

Tanya don't panic. If you chew your food up into tiny pieces it doesn't happen very often. And if you get to know what you can and cant eat. When you first have your op you will have little or no fill so will be able to eat most things and as you get fills you will noticeably fell the restriction so will naturally start to chew more and avoid your problem foods.

It all is worth it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What to do in stuck moments.   What to do in stuck moments. Empty07/01/11, 01:45 pm

I have to admit -This stuck food business is freaking me out a little.
Back to top Go down
Delia
Delia

PostSubject: Re: What to do in stuck moments.   What to do in stuck moments. Empty07/01/11, 08:57 am

Good idea Sharon.

Yes a mouth of fizzy drink usually does the trick or even just a mouth of water. I just bend over and it comes up untill I really got a bad blockage. When that happens it does not matter what you do it will not come up and you have to go and get fill out.
Remember after a blockage you will be swollen in the band area so make sure for a day or two that you have just fluids then soft food before you go back to normal food.

Last edited by Delia on 08/01/11, 12:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://deliahereiam.blogspot.com/
Linda

Linda

PostSubject: Re: What to do in stuck moments.   What to do in stuck moments. Empty07/01/11, 08:38 am

Also don't wait too long to try the fizzy drink cos if you let it go too long it doesn't work.

Usually whatever I have stuck comes back with just bending my head. If I am in public it is a rush to make it to a bathroom. Once when out with my sister I had something stuck and the restaurant didn't have a toilet. I had to go a long way to a public toilet thinking I was going to puke in the street on the way. When I got there they were closed for cleaning. The walk there in a rush made the food go down. Also if you want to do it quietly with no splash back line the toilet bowl with paper first. I had my worst stuck incidence in 4 years in Phuket in Oct. I foolishly ate a doughnut and for about 5 days nothing except fluids went down. I left it a few days for the fizzy drink and it was too late. I puked all over the place until we resorted to room service so I was close to a bathroom. It was the worst feeling ever and I still didn't lose any weight.
Back to top Go down
tumultuous-tara

tumultuous-tara

PostSubject: Re: What to do in stuck moments.   What to do in stuck moments. Empty07/01/11, 08:22 am

FIZZY DRINK IS THE BEST THING EVER !!!!!

Have a quick scull of it and stand VERY close to the basin cos it is explosive ... it either pushes the blockage through or rather quickly and forcefully brings the blockage up.

I always have a can close by these days.

TARA
Back to top Go down
anewsharon

anewsharon

PostSubject: What to do in stuck moments.   What to do in stuck moments. Empty07/01/11, 07:34 am

I have had one stuck moment which was very scary. I was eating a sandwich and wasn't concentrating. It only lasted a few minutes before it come up. Since then I have had quite a few moments where I thought I was going to have food stuck.

I have learnt that if I raise my arms above my head and kind of stick my chest out and take some deep breathes eventually it goes through.

I was thinking it might be handy if others could share tips on what they do to help in stuck moments.

As I get more fills I am sure I will need this thread more and more.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What to do in stuck moments.   What to do in stuck moments. Empty

Back to top Go down

What to do in stuck moments.
Page 1 of 1