tumultuous-tara
kerri28
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Blupantz

Blupantz

Lapband - lapband removal - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: lapband removal   Lapband - lapband removal - Page 2 Empty29/06/11, 11:23 pm

And Kerri, I know how powerless I felt without the band as the weight slowly but surely crept on.

If I were in your position I would also be considering the sleeve. It's a big decision though, and only one you can make after gathering all the information.

I would also seek a second opinion from another bariatric surgeon about your suitability for a band - once your stomach has healed it may be possible to re-fit a band?
Back to top Go down
http://downsyzeme.wordpress.com/
Blupantz

Blupantz

PostSubject: Re: lapband removal   Lapband - lapband removal - Page 2 Empty29/06/11, 11:19 pm

kerri28 wrote:
Thanks Blupantz for your reply
was their a reason that you had to weight for the next band
i am struggling at the moment i feel always hungry and can eat large portions
it really is frustrating i am going to the gym 3/4 times a week and food choices are fairly
healthy it is so disappointing that all my 2/1/2 years hard work will be lots
Kerri

Firstly my stomach wall was very thin, which is why he didn't replace it immediately - initially I was to have a 3 month rest and then have it in. In the meantime I was diagnosed with kidney cancer and had to have surgery to have my kidney removed. Then I had to have the 6 month all clear before going back to the lap band surgeon. When I got that I'd been having trouble with my gallbladder, so doctor wanted that out first. So I had surgery to get that out, a month or so to recover, then finally had my band back in.
Back to top Go down
kerri28

PostSubject: Re: lapband removal   Lapband - lapband removal - Page 2 Empty27/06/11, 10:46 am

Thanks Blupantz for your reply
was their a reason that you had to weight for the next band
i am struggling at the moment i feel always hungry and can eat large portions
it really is frustrating i am going to the gym 3/4 times a week and food choices are fairly
healthy it is so disappointing that all my 2/1/2 years hard work will be lots
Kerri
Back to top Go down
Blupantz

Blupantz

PostSubject: Re: lapband removal   Lapband - lapband removal - Page 2 Empty26/06/11, 12:30 pm

I had my band out for almost exactly a year after a slip - was due to have it back in after 3 months but various other health factors got in the way...

I put on nearly all the weight I had lost (nearly 40 of the 50kgs I had lost) in that 10 months.

I was desperate to get the band back in because even with trying to eat healthy most of the time, my body weight just kept creeping upward.
Back to top Go down
newme2011

newme2011

PostSubject: Re: lapband removal   Lapband - lapband removal - Page 2 Empty26/06/11, 10:19 am

My surgeon stitches both the band and port in place. He stitches the band in to prevent slippage and the port to prevent movement and it overturning. He has told me it should last a life-time. I sincerely hope that is the case!

I think I would be less inclined to do the rigorous exercise I am currently doing if they weren't stitched in as I would be worried I would do something to cause a problem.
Back to top Go down
Delia
Delia

PostSubject: Re: lapband removal   Lapband - lapband removal - Page 2 Empty25/06/11, 02:49 pm

Kerri
I have had two slips.
The first it was able to be repositioned.

The seconded it was found that I did make adhesions and as the French Mid band is not stitched in it needs them to hold the band in place. Then band was undone and left inside me for 5 weeks when I was operated on again and this time my Doctor stitched it in.
4 operations in all.

It took 12 months for me to get any restriction (not much) as they put the fill in very slowly this time.
I have put on a few kg. Also it was hard with no restriction. I have been on holidays for weeks on and off and next week will be home after being away for a month.

I am just at the turning point now where I feel I can go 100% with it all again.

I would get another Doctor’s opinion. Some say if it slips to get the sleeve but if you can have another band it would be worth it I feel.
Delia
Back to top Go down
http://deliahereiam.blogspot.com/
tumultuous-tara

tumultuous-tara

PostSubject: Re: lapband removal   Lapband - lapband removal - Page 2 Empty24/06/11, 11:48 am

Kerri,

Now I am wondering if you are one of Dr L's um patients.

Such a shame you can't have a 2nd band put in. Why is that exactly? (Have you gotten a 2nd opinion?)

I really feel for you it must be very, very scary to be left bandless.

It sounds like you are doing all the right things - gym, Private Health Insurance, seeking support and doing research.

Do you think you might have the Sleeve or Bypass surgery when your insurance has kicked in and you've saved the gap fees ?

Cheers
Tara
Back to top Go down
honeybee

PostSubject: Re: lapband removal   Lapband - lapband removal - Page 2 Empty24/06/11, 11:42 am

Hi Kerri

I had my lapband in nov 2007 and out jan this year. I had major anxiety about something going wrong because even without fill the lapband was too tight. i lost weight but i could never eat healthy food. Fruit and veges would get stuck protein foods would get stuck and i felt really unhealthy. i just had to have a liquid diet basically. I suspect the surgeon put in the wrong size band. Now the weight has started to pile on because once i get the taste of carbs it's hard to stop and much to my husbands dissaproval i am thinking of having the sleeve.
Back to top Go down
kerri28

PostSubject: Re: lapband removal   Lapband - lapband removal - Page 2 Empty24/06/11, 11:27 am

hi ladies thanks for your replys i had a band place on 7/4/2008 by a gold coast dr 2008 which i was very happy with i lost a total of 50kg over the time i had the band i am still very happy with the results after 7 day of vomiting and hospitalization had a barium swallow&gastroscopy i had to have my band and port removed after a missed diagnosed of band slip& total occlusion; barium swallow done at the largest public hospital in Brisbane i was told that i would never be able to have another band and that all lap bands would fail eventurally i am now slowerly putting on weight 10kg from 1 march 2011 dispite regular gym
sorry if i gaveyou allthe wrong impression
yes it is worth it i would have another lapband but i am not priverterly in sured payed cash for the first one
will get PHI soonbut their is still a big out of pocket expense
i am trying not to put on weight but it is hard as weall know
kerri
Back to top Go down
newme2011

newme2011

PostSubject: Re: lapband removal   Lapband - lapband removal - Page 2 Empty24/06/11, 11:06 am

Hello Kerri,

Meet Ms Sceptic - that's me. It is a good thing you are doing your homework. I investigated band placement, not band replacement. First things first I suppose. But, on balance I decided it was the only way I was going to change. And it has worked for me, I have changed, over 20kgs lighter in 6 months. I am jogging on the treadmill now, I am working with weights that I couldn't have lifted before. I am eating healthy food and still having a cheat eat every now and then. Is it worth it. YES. YES. YES.
I am wearing normal clothes from a normal shop - not big girls clothes. You cannot put into words how my world has become a better place.

I am newme 2011!
Back to top Go down
debs

debs

PostSubject: Re: lapband removal   Lapband - lapband removal - Page 2 Empty24/06/11, 09:57 am

I agree with Tara. I've only had one band, and although it ttok a long time to get some restriction I know i would only be heavier without it, and not over 20ks lighter. Still a way to go but i'm confident the band will help me get there better than if i did it on my own. (I probably wouldn't have lost half this much without the band and i know i'd put it back on.) It is a very personal choice though. Are you thinking of getting a band?
Back to top Go down
tumultuous-tara

tumultuous-tara

PostSubject: Re: lapband removal   Lapband - lapband removal - Page 2 Empty24/06/11, 08:48 am

Hi Kerri,

Welcome.

Are you considering getting a band ? Or do you need one removed?

Every person has a different journey with their band and this is the same with band removal.
Personally, I was able to have one band removed and another one put back in in the same surgery.

Is it worth it -- absolutely !!

I would be sitting at 15 kilos heavier instead of almost 40 kilos down, even with the problems I had I'd do it all again.

Tara
Back to top Go down
kerri28

PostSubject: lapband removal   Lapband - lapband removal - Page 2 Empty24/06/11, 08:21 am

Hi all
just wanted to know how many have had their band removed
and for what reasons
have you had it replaced or other surgery's for weight loss
did the weight return and if so how much and how long did it take to come back
did any body have to weight to have the band replaced
their seems a lot of people who band had trouble
is it worth it ?????
kerri
??
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content