HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Lentil & Barley Soup

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Linda

Linda

soup - Lentil & Barley Soup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lentil & Barley Soup   soup - Lentil & Barley Soup Empty07/06/11, 02:15 am

A bit embarrassing really LOL We had a committee meeting at 6pm last night. Then bridge starts at 7.30pm. Had to do a quick run in between. Held wind in all night. The car didn't smell too good driving home LOL
Back to top Go down
Vogette
Admin
Vogette

PostSubject: Re: Lentil & Barley Soup   soup - Lentil & Barley Soup Empty07/06/11, 01:41 am

Hehehe, Linda, are you suggesting that you could power your own shuttle launcher? Doncha just love it...lol
Back to top Go down
Linda

Linda

PostSubject: Re: Lentil & Barley Soup   soup - Lentil & Barley Soup Empty06/06/11, 11:29 pm

Oh my I think I would be less toxic with red lentils instead of soup mix.
Back to top Go down
Vogette
Admin
Vogette

PostSubject: Re: Lentil & Barley Soup   soup - Lentil & Barley Soup Empty06/06/11, 07:46 am

It is a very nice soup that is different, I guess, because of the curry. Very comforting for a winter's day. Yes, it does have carbs, but lots of protein too. Great way to get veges in, and you can add what you want. I find it a very adaptable recipe that's really nice. I stole it from somewhere or other, made it and simply had to share. I normally don't recommend too many soups because it is easy for them to slide through the band and you can have too much, but this one gets really thick, especially the next day, and is still band friendly.

I am always on the lookout for new recipes, so will continue to add them after I have tested them myself!!!
Back to top Go down
debs

debs

PostSubject: Re: Lentil & Barley Soup   soup - Lentil & Barley Soup Empty06/06/11, 05:26 am

I used the soup mix too Linda as it had lentils and barley in it. Lovely stuff.
Back to top Go down
Linda

Linda

PostSubject: Re: Lentil & Barley Soup   soup - Lentil & Barley Soup Empty06/06/11, 05:01 am

YUM very thick and tasty. Hit the spot after a walk on a very cold day.
Back to top Go down
Linda

Linda

PostSubject: Re: Lentil & Barley Soup   soup - Lentil & Barley Soup Empty06/06/11, 01:39 am

I have this cooking now for lunch. It smells divine. Would you believe the stupid supermarket didn't have any red lentils. I had to make do with soup mix which already had some barley mixed with peas and lentils. I also added some chopped celery and carrots cos I don't eat enough vegetables. Will report in on it later. I bet it makes you fart. Most soups do that to me anyway.
Back to top Go down
debs

debs

PostSubject: Re: Lentil & Barley Soup   soup - Lentil & Barley Soup Empty05/06/11, 12:08 pm

I made this soup today Beth and it was fantastic! So so nice. I made a wee mistake by putting to much curry powder in. So i added some coconut milk to knock it back (worked a treat) you couldn't really taste the coconut milk though, it just make it very smooth in the mouth. I also had a little basmati rice left over from the night before so i threw that in too. It was divine...one of the best soups i've ever eaten...and lovely and thick too, almost like a stew if i wanted it to be. Just delicious. Thanks for the recipe!

debs
Back to top Go down
Vogette
Admin
Vogette

PostSubject: Re: Lentil & Barley Soup   soup - Lentil & Barley Soup Empty02/06/11, 05:57 am

It is nice...I added some chicken mince too, to up the protein. The curry flavours are lovely! very nice the next day too as the lentils thicken....was very yummy.
Back to top Go down
debs

debs

PostSubject: Re: Lentil & Barley Soup   soup - Lentil & Barley Soup Empty02/06/11, 02:13 am

Sounds delish Beth! I love soups in winter... i'll have to try it.
Back to top Go down
Vogette
Admin
Vogette

PostSubject: Lentil & Barley Soup   soup - Lentil & Barley Soup Empty31/05/11, 03:13 am

This is a good high protein soup for these cold blustery days!

Ingredients:
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 (or more) cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 tsp turmeric
2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp minced chilli or chilli paste (or to taste)
6 cups water
2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
extra chicken stock cube (to taste)
1 cup red lentils
1/2 pearl barley
1 440gm can crushed tomatoes
salt & crushed black pepper to taste
fresh parsley or coriander to garnish

Method:

In a large heavy bottomed saucepan, heat the oil and add onion, cooking gently until changing colour and softening.

Add the garlic, turmeric, curry powder, cumin and chilli, and cook for 1 minute, stirring.

Stir in the water, stock, lentils, barley, tomatoes and seasoning, adding more stock if required.

Bring to a boil, stir, cover and simmer for about 45 minutes or until the lentils and barley are tender.

Serve sprinkled with chopped parsley and/or coriander.

Enjoy!

Each cup contains about 756 kJ or 180 cal, 12 gm protein, 25 gm carb, 5 gm fibre, 5 gm fat
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lentil & Barley Soup   soup - Lentil & Barley Soup Empty

Back to top Go down

Lentil & Barley Soup
Page 1 of 1