Delia
zippy
shrinkinglily
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Delia
Delia

Stretched Oesophagus or drama queen? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stretched Oesophagus or drama queen?   Stretched Oesophagus or drama queen? Empty16/09/11, 09:52 pm

Thanks Tara
I have missed a few posts this month.
Wonderful weight loss.
Delia
Back to top Go down
http://deliahereiam.blogspot.com/
suzzie

suzzie

PostSubject: Re: Stretched Oesophagus or drama queen?   Stretched Oesophagus or drama queen? Empty16/09/11, 01:35 pm

WTG well done to you all who have reached goal !
Back to top Go down
rose bud

rose bud

PostSubject: Re: Stretched Oesophagus or drama queen?   Stretched Oesophagus or drama queen? Empty16/09/11, 12:39 pm

Stretched Oesophagus or drama queen? 515430 Well Done Shrinkinglily. Hay I have had surgery too but alass Iam no where near my goal. but then iam not making good food choices or exerciseing. aka doing the hard yacker.
Back to top Go down
tumultuous-tara

tumultuous-tara

PostSubject: Re: Stretched Oesophagus or drama queen?   Stretched Oesophagus or drama queen? Empty15/09/11, 11:00 pm

CUTTING and PASTING Lilly's post for Delia

Hi All,
This week was my one year bandiversary and I hit goal! 101.5kg to 58.5 kg so this is a brag post :)

Back to top Go down
Delia
Delia

PostSubject: Re: Stretched Oesophagus or drama queen?   Stretched Oesophagus or drama queen? Empty15/09/11, 12:13 pm

Congratulations well done.
Can I ask how much you have lost?
Back to top Go down
anewsharon

anewsharon

PostSubject: Re: Stretched Oesophagus or drama queen?   Stretched Oesophagus or drama queen? Empty14/09/11, 12:35 pm

Congrats on reaching your goal.

Stretched Oesophagus or drama queen? 644107
Back to top Go down
shrinkinglily

shrinkinglily

PostSubject: Thanks!    Stretched Oesophagus or drama queen? Empty14/09/11, 11:45 am

Thanks for the messages. I agree it is a lot of jealousy. When I first started losing weight people were very supportive but as I got closer to goal people were more critical. This week I hit goal and now I think I need to work on the inside and get a little stronger mentally!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Stretched Oesophagus or drama queen?   Stretched Oesophagus or drama queen? Empty14/09/11, 07:17 am

I know this is an oldish post but I only just saw it...

shrinkinglily wrote:
I am copping a bit of wow you have lost so much weight talk recently where someone ALWAYS says "but she had surgery" it makes me livid!

It is such a silly, moot point they are making so try not to breath life into it by getting angry. You could always just tell your antagonists they are right, lapbands really do help when you need to re-gain control of your health and improve your appearance. Then sweetly offer to write the contact details for your surgeon, if they could just lend you a pen ;)

Personally, I only really care what my arteries and pancreas have to say about how bonafide my path to weight-loss is.

Back to top Go down
zippy

zippy

PostSubject: Re: Stretched Oesophagus or drama queen?   Stretched Oesophagus or drama queen? Empty13/07/11, 09:21 am

the people who make those types of comments are just plain pig ignorant. This weightloss with the band is hard and one still needs to diet and exercise to make it work... it does not band our brain or our cravings or emotions. All of which drive ones need to eat and in the long run gain weight. Nor does it immediately put an end to metabolic disorders that make it difficult to burn fat.

I for one am an emotional eater and you could remove my stomach completely and sew it to my asp and I would still scarf food down.

You are to be commended and applauded for making an informed and proactive choice and doing something healthy for yourself and for loosing the weight.

I dont get angry at these people... (I am related to some)... I just feel sorry for their idiocy.. I do not comment on their inadequacy at making educated comments so there fore I do not require them to comment on my lack of strength to lose weight with out a lap band or any other sort of wls.

You are a beautiful woman so stand up be proud and strong...Fark em I say!!!!
Back to top Go down
shrinkinglily

shrinkinglily

PostSubject: Forum   Stretched Oesophagus or drama queen? Empty13/07/11, 08:59 am

Just have to say thanks again for the support. I am copping a bit of wow you have lost so much weight talk recently where someone ALWAYS says "but she had surgery" it makes me livid! I have worked hard to lose weight and have ups and downs like everyone. Hence why I post confessions here because my self esteem has taken a battering recently by being honest.
Back to top Go down
Linda

Linda

PostSubject: Re: Stretched Oesophagus or drama queen?   Stretched Oesophagus or drama queen? Empty13/07/11, 05:47 am

Yeah mersyndol is pretty good too. I took 1 every night for the first couple of weeks. No need to be in pain.
Back to top Go down
kazza

PostSubject: Re: Stretched Oesophagus or drama queen?   Stretched Oesophagus or drama queen? Empty13/07/11, 05:33 am

Thankyu i went 2 the doctor yestie,he pretty much said im going 2 have 2 with the flo,i woke up this morning in tears,and im usually good with pain,be4 it only pained when i burped,ill go get sum peppermint tea,and im over the moon cause ive lost 7kg in 7 days,starting 2 get a tad hungry but so far so good. Stretched Oesophagus or drama queen? 579334
Back to top Go down
zippy

zippy

PostSubject: Re: Stretched Oesophagus or drama queen?   Stretched Oesophagus or drama queen? Empty13/07/11, 05:21 am

great minds Linda... you can try mersyndol and sleep it off too... get the muscle relaxant one.. it will make you so relaxed and sleepy you wont give a rats armpit...however like I said ring your doc just in case
Back to top Go down
Linda

Linda

PostSubject: Re: Stretched Oesophagus or drama queen?   Stretched Oesophagus or drama queen? Empty13/07/11, 05:18 am

Ohhh zippy and I posted at the same time. I forgot about the de gas tablets.
Back to top Go down
Linda

Linda

PostSubject: Re: Stretched Oesophagus or drama queen?   Stretched Oesophagus or drama queen? Empty13/07/11, 05:17 am

This is quite common. It is referred pain and caused by the gas that they pump into you to make the surgery easier. Try to walk around and try to dislodge it. Peppermint tea sipped is supposed to help and try a heat pack on the area. Maybe make up a baked bean smoothie and fart it all out LOL
Back to top Go down
zippy

zippy

PostSubject: Re: Stretched Oesophagus or drama queen?   Stretched Oesophagus or drama queen? Empty13/07/11, 05:16 am

kazza your shoulder pain should be starting to decrease by now.. though you could have been pulled around a bit in the op... the only things available are degas tabs...peppermint tea.. heat packs and gentle walking around the room or yard.

If it keeps increasing over the next 8 hours I would suggest you ring your doctor....or just ring them anyway which is what I would do.

The shoulder pain is a bitch but trust me its worth it to squeeze off the weight. Hang in there
Back to top Go down
kazza

PostSubject: Re: Stretched Oesophagus or drama queen?   Stretched Oesophagus or drama queen? Empty13/07/11, 04:20 am

My shoulder pain has increased,its only been a week 2day since band done,but thought pain would decrease not increase pl
Back to top Go down
Linda

Linda

PostSubject: Re: Stretched Oesophagus or drama queen?   Stretched Oesophagus or drama queen? Empty13/07/11, 01:22 am

Good on you Lily. It is never easy to fess up but we are an excellent sounding board here. We have all done it or know someone who has it so we a a pretty good souce to come to for problems.
Back to top Go down
shrinkinglily

shrinkinglily

PostSubject: Thanks so much   Stretched Oesophagus or drama queen? Empty13/07/11, 12:59 am

Thank you both so much, I will start my pouch test meal plan today. I am so grateful for the advice here and will keep you all posted on my progress!
Back to top Go down
Delia
Delia

PostSubject: Re: Stretched Oesophagus or drama queen?   Stretched Oesophagus or drama queen? Empty12/07/11, 11:14 pm

.Firstly I am a little bit worried about the amount I can eat before I get discomfort and need to purge.
Lily I have done the pouch test and it is a great way to see if you are ok and the pouch working.
I have a feeling that over time you are developing a habit of eating more.
Why not just cut back before you need to purge that is the idea of the band to stop. If you can remember how much you were eating before 1/2 cup or 1 cup go back to that and see if that stops the purging.
Let us know how you are going and feel free to write exactally how you are feeling.
Delia

Last edited by Delia on 21/07/11, 06:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
zippy

zippy

PostSubject: Re: Stretched Oesophagus or drama queen?   Stretched Oesophagus or drama queen? Empty12/07/11, 01:33 pm

by the way never be afraid to fess up on this forum.. its a hard haul and we all make mistakes along the way.. and I for one have purged to get rid of pain...mostly because I never pb.

Its all good and you have done amazingly well.
Back to top Go down
zippy

zippy

PostSubject: Re: Stretched Oesophagus or drama queen?   Stretched Oesophagus or drama queen? Empty12/07/11, 01:26 pm

5 DAY POUCH TEST
Days 1 & 2: Liquid Protein
low-carb protein shakes, broth, clear or cream soups, sugar-free gelatin and pudding. Carb Monster Soup Mixes.
The first two days are all liquids. You can have as many low-carb protein shakes as you like to satisfy hunger or cravings. In addition drink at least six 8-ounce glasses of water each day. The purpose of all liquids is to break any snacking, grazing or processed carbohydrate habits. In addition the liquids will work to cleanse your system and prepare you for the following three days.
Try to reduce your caffeine intake as well, but do not stop caffeine cold turkey or you will feel sick and frustrated potentially losing the desire to continue with the pouch test.
If you notice symptoms of carbohydrate withdrawal you can eat a small piece of melon or an orange. You can also try a dose of Emergen-C which should reduce headache, dizziness or cramping from carbohydrate withdrawal.
Feeling nauseated? Try sipping some freshly brewed warm green tea. You can add fresh ginger juice to further ease the symptoms of stomach distress and nausea. The nauesea may be the result of a switch from carbohydrate slider foods to richer proteins and the ingredients in the protein shakes.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Day 3: Soft Proteins
The next three days you get to eat as much as you want as often as you want! Ahhh, but there's a catch: it has to be solid protein and you only get 15 minutes each time you sit down to eat. No drinking 30 minutes before or after meals and no drinking with your food. A dry pouch will hold your soft protein longer helping your to feel full and fed longer.
Protein Recommendations: canned fish (tuna or salmon) mixed with lemon and seasoned with salt and pepper, eggs cooked as desired seasoned with salt pepper and/or salsa, fresh soft fish (tilapia, sole, orange roughy), baked or grilled, and lightly seasoned.
This starts your program with "soft" protein. Measure your portion (1 cup volume or 4-6 ounces weight) and eat only until you feel full, not overfull. Remember, no water for 30 minutes before or after you meal, and no fluids with your meal. We are going back to the beginning and fluids will prevent you from feeling the pouch. If you need to add a moist condiment ( Miracle Whip or mayonnaise) to the canned fish I understand, but keep it to a minimum so the meat is not too moist. One reason we lose the sense of tightness in our pouch is that we eat "slider foods" - foods that are too moist and do not stay in the pouch very long, they slide right through the stoma.
Cottage cheese is a good protein and you can include it on Day 3. I didn't have it on the list because it is considered by some to be a slider food. To firm it up a bit you could add a chopped hard cooked egg to your cottage cheese. And yes, during the liquid phase chicken boullion with added protein is great.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day 4: Firm Protein
Protein Recommendations: ground meat (beef, turkey, lamb) cooked dry and lightly seasoned, shellfish, scallops, lobster steamed and seasoned only with lemon, salmon or halibut steaks, grilled and lightly seasoned.
By now you should be experiencing that familiar tightness that will reassure you that your pouch is working. Remember to drink plenty of water between meals. Take some time to meditate and rediscover the wonder of your pouch. Often we don't like that uncomfortable tightness of the pouch, which is why we gradually move toward slider foods that don't make us uncomfortable. It is always my preference to eat moist protein so I don't get uncomfortable, but doing so allows me to consume more than I should. Rediscovering the pouch with this 5-day plan reminds me of how the tool really works. I hope by now you are rediscovering your tool and enjoying the hope and excitement because your pouch still works.
Encouraging Words from Kaye
There are two things I know about human nature. First, nobody ever wakes up and declares, "Today is the day I will relax my enthusiasm and get off track." Second, nobody ever wakes up and gets back on track without first saying, "Today is the day I get back on track and I have a plan." Falling off track happens without a plan or script. Getting back on track requires a conscious decision, a carefully designed plan and the determination to make it happen.
Why do we fall off track? There are hundreds of reasons: stress, complacency, happiness, grief, celebrations, devastations, distractions and reactions. Nobody wants to fall of track, but life is full of twists and turns that disrupt our focus. It makes me sad when people talk about shame and failure when they have left the weight loss surgery track for a myriad of reasons. This is not a cause for shame or failure, this is a fact of humanity and indeed of living. But human nature is also resilient and powerful. We have the ability to recover from set backs time and time again.
While you are doing the 5 Day Pouch Test I encourage you to create an inner storm of enthusiasm and hope and energy. Go back to those pre-op and early post-op days and live that moment over again. Read motivational articles and visit the Neighborhood forum. Talk to pre-ops and newbies. Look at your before and after pictures. You can go back and you can use this surgical tool to lose weight, become healthier and feel good about yourself.
Day 5: Solid Protein
Protein Recommendations: white meat poultry cooked dry and lightly seasoned, beef steak (if tolerated) grilled or broiled.
Remember to chew chew chew. Measure your portion (4-6 ounces) and eat only until you feel your pouch tighten. Remember, only 15 minutes per meal, so you'll have to work fast to chew your food completely. By now you should be out of any carb cycle you were in and perhaps you have lost a pound or two. You will have new confidence in your pouch and your ability to work the tool for your health and emotional well being.
Don't go hungry! Remember, you can eat as often as you want as long as it is solid protein, consumed without liquids and measured in 4-6 ounce portions.
]http://5daypouchtest.com/recipes/cookbook.html[center
Back to top Go down
zippy

zippy

PostSubject: Re: Stretched Oesophagus or drama queen?   Stretched Oesophagus or drama queen? Empty12/07/11, 01:25 pm

Lily you probably just need a little more fill due to disipation over time.

I have a stretched pouch and dialated oesophigus from running a too tight band both give me horrendous heartburn.

Now... a stretched pouch can have the symptoms of being able to eat more with out actually making you have heartburn... though you will prob develope it if you have a stretched pouch a stretched oesophigus will always give you acid pain because nothing is stopping the acid wash back up the throat.

both of these are treatable by removing fill...but you can reverse it by doing the pouch test diet which will bring everything back down. Having said that it will only stay that way if you continue with good habits afterwards

A slip is a real worry and has symptoms that range from very mild to extreme.

I am not going to lecture you about purging because you know the drill.

If it were me I would try the pouch test if it works then either change your eating patterns or get a fill.

Ultimatlely you need to talk to your doc about your fears ...but in the mean time try the pouch test diet.

Last edited by zippy on 12/07/11, 01:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
shrinkinglily

shrinkinglily

PostSubject: Stretched Oesophagus or drama queen?   Stretched Oesophagus or drama queen? Empty12/07/11, 12:35 pm

Hi All,
Firstly a bit of my background. I was banded in October last year and have lost 38 kilograms. I could not be happier. I have gone from a size 20 to a size 10. Recently I have been a bit hungrier and craving bread. So I eat bread and then it gets blocked and I purge. I know this is terribly unhealthy but I am trying to be honest here.

Firstly I am a little bit worried about the amount I can eat before I get discomfort and need to purge. Do you think I have a band slippage or a stretched oesophagus? I have no symptoms or pain just a bad habit that I am worried about and the trouble or complications this may cause.

I am going to drop back to liquids for a few days but really just wanted others thoughts on why I am suddenly eating larger portions only to purge when previously I would stop.

This was a very hard post for me on the honesty scale!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stretched Oesophagus or drama queen?   Stretched Oesophagus or drama queen? Empty

Back to top Go down

Stretched Oesophagus or drama queen?
Page 1 of 1