HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Port Placement

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Blupantz

PostSubject: Re: Port Placement   15/06/11, 06:07 pm

There is definitely still swelling - I try to feel the port but can't feel like any 'edge' of it - can feel the hardness in it that is not body tissue, but can't exactly feel the port...
Back to top Go down
http://downsyzeme.wordpress.com/

PostSubject: Re: Port Placement   15/06/11, 02:48 pm

Hi Blupantz
Is it still mostly swelling?
Back to top Go down
anewsharon

PostSubject: Re: Port Placement   15/06/11, 01:22 pm

Oh wow. Mine does not stick up like that.
Back to top Go down
Blupantz

PostSubject: Re: Port Placement   15/06/11, 10:39 am

These are photos of my port taken today. It's a bit hard to show them, it really seems to stick up more in real life thatn I can show int he photos.

I am taking these myself lying flat on my back. The long scar, when I'm sitting or standing is about an inch below the crease of my breast, but laying down it's much lower down.

The swelling has definitely gone down, and it's not as sore, but it's still sore, if that makes sense.
Back to top Go down
Vogette
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Port Placement   08/06/11, 12:01 am

Since losing a lot of weight I now need to wear 2 bras (!). I wear a "normal" bra, and a sports crop over the top....just to keep everything where it should be! (I will be investigating a surgical solution in the near future!). But, I have found these sports crops to be really good to sleep in. I just got them from Target...they are like a heavy microfibre fabric, no clips or straps, and really comfy. They probably don't give you the same "shape" as the Ahh Bra (from what I saw on telly, but I would give them a challenge, I suspect!), but really comfortable to wear, and for me, combined with a normal bra, perfect shape!
Back to top Go down
Blupantz

PostSubject: Re: Port Placement   07/06/11, 11:00 pm

Vogette wrote:
Hi BluPantz,

No experience with ports placed on the sternum. I have a lot of experience with ports placed near the clavicles, however (these are for chemotherapy....same port, but different as they go in to a blood vessel). Normal to get swelling - particularly I suspect, with placing it on your sternum. They would have had to create a "tunnel" to get the tubing through the tissue to connect to the port and that, of course, sets would set off an inflammatory process. It will settle in a few days. I would imagine though, it may feel as though you have a 3rd nipple when you lose some weight in that area! I would find it highly unlikely they would anchor the port to your bone. I suspect he has anchored it to the subcutaneous tissue and is utilising the fact that it is placed on a "flat" surface to prevent the flipping. At the end of the day, he should be able to access it easily. Hopefully it doesn't interfere with wearing a bra when the area heals....

It will ease....

Beth (Nurse number 1)

Oh good - I feel better knowing they didn't drill through the bone for some reason! It hurts to wear a bra at the moment so I'm not wearing one while at home - the cut is about an inch under the fold of my breast and slightly to the left of centre. I'm hoping once it's healed it won't be irritated by my bra strap or I'll have to experiment with different types of bras - might be an excuse to buy one of those 'ahh bras' that I've seen on telly.... heheh
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Port Placement   07/06/11, 10:56 pm

Wow, that's impressive Nurse 1 ;)
...and she doesn't even charge!

Back to top Go down
Vogette
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Port Placement   07/06/11, 09:24 pm

Hi BluPantz,

No experience with ports placed on the sternum. I have a lot of experience with ports placed near the clavicles, however (these are for chemotherapy....same port, but different as they go in to a blood vessel). Normal to get swelling - particularly I suspect, with placing it on your sternum. They would have had to create a "tunnel" to get the tubing through the tissue to connect to the port and that, of course, sets would set off an inflammatory process. It will settle in a few days. I would imagine though, it may feel as though you have a 3rd nipple when you lose some weight in that area! I would find it highly unlikely they would anchor the port to your bone. I suspect he has anchored it to the subcutaneous tissue and is utilising the fact that it is placed on a "flat" surface to prevent the flipping. At the end of the day, he should be able to access it easily. Hopefully it doesn't interfere with wearing a bra when the area heals....

It will ease....

Beth (Nurse number 1)
Back to top Go down
Blupantz

PostSubject: Re: Port Placement   07/06/11, 05:25 pm

Tanya wrote:

I can't help, but I was just asking Ange about sore port sites a little earlier tonight on the forum. Mine is not on the pain radar yet but it is a frequent pressure, burning, stretching, itching feeling ( around the prosthesis area in general) . Makes me know it's there alright and I also wonder if that is normal or a sign of something? I was banded in March so it's still new to me.

I had that burning/stretching feeling when I had the port positioned on my abdomen - but from memory I think that mostly went away by about the second week (I may not be remembering right though - I know it did go away but).

Probably scar tissue forming around it and stretching when you move?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Port Placement   07/06/11, 05:13 pm

Hi Blupantz, there are at least three nurses around here who may have medical insight and others who may have experienced the same or similar thing (I can't remember any posts specifically about sternum placement raised yet).

I can't help, but I was just asking Ange about sore port sites a little earlier tonight on the forum. Mine is not on the pain radar yet but it is a frequent pressure, burning, stretching, itching feeling ( around the prosthesis area in general) . Makes me know it's there alright and I also wonder if that is normal or a sign of something? I was banded in March so it's still new to me.

I hope you get your answers, and no doubt you will be the first to get on the blower to your doctor about it if your concerns grow.

T :)

Back to top Go down
Blupantz

PostSubject: Port Placement   07/06/11, 04:51 pm

Does anyone else have their port on their sternum?

After two flips, I insisted the doctor put the port on my sternum this time around. So far, after a week, the differences I have noticed are that I'm in less pain in my stomach - with the port on the abdo muscle I got more 'stretchy' kind of pain when walking etc during the first week. I didn't realise this was from the port before, so now I have none of that pain.

The pain in my sternum is worse though. For the first 3 days I had to use a lung capacity sucking thingy - not sure what it's called - to keep taking deep breaths. Deep breathing hurt. Bending over hurts. Reaching up hurts. I laid in my bed the other night (I'm sleeping in the recliner chair at the moment, mostly due to back pain) - and when I was laying on my back, my sternum must push upward a bit - anyway the port and swelling protruded from my chest, about the size of a tennis ball! And it hurt! I couldn't stay lying there for longer than 10 mins. And the next day bruising came out at the site. Standing, sitting and reclining it doesn't stick out at all.

I hate to think about it, but I guess they must have drilled into the bone to attach the port? I don't even want to google it! Wonder how long it will take for the pain to disappear, and the swelling to go right down? Any advice??
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Port Placement   

Back to top Go down

Port Placement
Page 1 of 1